Co-sponsored by The Council of Historic Richmond Foundation and The Garden Clubs of Richmond, the Laburnum Park Tour takes place Wednesday, April 24, 2013, from 10AM-4:30PM.
The tour will visit 8 homes and their gardens:
- The Dixon home and garden – 1215 Confederate Avenue
- The Boyer home and garden – 1403 Wilmington Avenue (pictured above)
- The Fletcher home and garden – 1600 Wilmington Avenue
- The Rau home and garden – 1209 Confederate Avenue
- The Foley home and garden – 1412 Palmyra Avenue
- The McCarty garden – 1406 Palmyra Avenue
- The Seipel home and garden – 1513 Palmyra Avenue
- The Rennie garden – 1401 Wilmington Avenue
Tickets are $35 in advance; $40 on day of tour; single site ticket $20. Children ages 5 and under, free of charge; ages 6-12, $20. Tickets may be purchased on tour day and at designated advance ticket locations.
About Laburnum Park
The Laburnum Park neighborhood consisting of many wide, tree-lined streets and boulevards, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and comprises approximately 116 acres northwest of downtown Richmond.
The neighborhood was one of Richmond’s historic streetcar suburbs which began to be developed in 1919 by the heirs of Joseph Bryan, an important and wealthy businessman in Richmond. This area that once formed the core of Joseph Bryan’s estate was mostly completed in the early 1930′s.
The houses in this historic district are dominated by the Colonial Revival style and the influence of Arts and Crafts and the Mediterranean styles. Examples of late Victorian and Tudor Revival houses are also in this neighborhood and roof shapes include side-gabled, gabled, hipped and gambrel. Stucco, brick, half timbering and clapboard siding are samples of the many varieties of exterior finishes found here. Also in Laburnum Park, Charles M. Robinson, a prolific architect in Richmond, designed 24 smaller homes called Laburnum Court in 1919, which became an early example of cooperative housing.
This neighborhood also contains several large institutional buildings of interest, including a 1920 Gothic Revival Church, Ginter Park Baptist Church. The “Laburnum” house built by Joseph Bryan beginning in 1908, is the earliest remaining house in the Laburnum Park district. It is a Neoclassical Revival building consisting of 50 rooms containing a Corinthian portico and Flemish bond brickwork. The house was later incorporated into the complex containing the former Richmond Memorial Hospital and it now Ginter Place Condos.
Also of notable interest in this neighborhood is The Hermitage, built in 1911 by Joseph Bryan’s son, Jonathan. This house, originally called “Nonchalance”, is a wonderful example of Colonial Revival style architecture and is now the Hermitage Retirement Community.